Friday, September 08, 2006

my workspace

rather than actually doing any work, i thought i would post about my workspace.
i just got a new piece for my "altar" (which is really stuff nailed to the wall) but whatevs, you get the idea.
i took pictures of most of the stuff on my wall that is right next to the desk that i spend 70% of my life at.
i thought maybe you all would want to see it.

first up, is my new piece called "guadaliberty." i bought it an hour ago from this artist, miguel ayuso (his email is: chavitero@yahoo.com if you want to look at any of his stuff. its good shit). anywho it is a merging of the statue of liberty and the virgen de guadalupe. i love it. for me, it merges two major icons of san francisco and new york. i was first introduced to images of the virgen de guadalupe in sf when living in the mission district, an area that used to be entirely latino (that, of course, has changed). and then lady liberty obviously represents for nyc. but why she is extra special to me is that, on a clear day, when i am walking around my neighborhood, i can see her. it creates this sense of wonder in me, that this thing i have seen on television and in movies and in books all my life is now visible from my neighborhood. anywho here is a few pictures of the tin ornament:





next is a picture of a stone plaque that alyson and nicole got me some time ago. it is a quote from gandhi:



this was one of those presents you don't ask for, but when you get it you are like "oooh, i love it."

next is a postcard i got from this guy who worked at our favorite bodega in france near pony's apartment:



and here is a picture of the angel carved from wood that i got in some little shop in sante fe, new mexico when jes and i took our road trip out west (stopping in las vegas for nwsa):



along with images or art work from around the united states, i also have sayings that have meaning to me (and my work) posted up. they are not as fancy or pretty as the other images, but they are just as important to me. here are a few:





Lastly, I have pictures that inspire me and/or remind me of why I am doing what I do, and frankly, remind me how many blessings I have in my life in having the friends I have. First up, is a picture of Jes with little baby Bailey on Dawn and Gator's front porch swing. One day Dawn and I went to the coffee shop or U Joint with Sarah to talk about dissertation stuff while Jes stayed at Dawn's house with Bailey. When we pulled up, this is what I saw. I didn't think I could love Jes anymore than I already did, and then I saw her with this baby boy on her chest and I melted:



and here is one of me (but you can't see me and that is fine) and ro ro doing yoga at aly and nik's old house. she is about to go into upward dog, but can't complete the pose b/c of the chocolate chip cookie in her hand. priceless!



and here is a cute one of me and jes making out three hundred years ago:



here is a pic of dawn, sarah and me from a hundred years ago when i was much thinner:



and lastly, and certainly not leastly, is a pic of my chicago family, outside of le peep, of course:



so now you all know, when i am feeling blue, or having writers block, this is what i look to for inspiration.

while uploading this pictures, i just had my lunch, which was DIVINE. left over italian wedding soup i made last weekend. seriously yall, the shit is GOOD. and one last thing. i am reading one of my old Nation magazines right now and its all about the food we eat and how it impacts the environment and public health and all. if you have a chance, check out their website to read the articles. very, very eye opening.

ok yall. have a great weekend.

No comments: