Sunday, January 25, 2009

mumbai and pushin' it

Good Sunday Morning Yall:

After a glorious night of very vivid dreams I woke up to the sun shining in my face (read: I woke up at 8am when the sun was actually up, not a minute before) and larry on my chest meowing.

I have a full agenda today including brunch with neighbors, grocery shopping, cooking not one but TWO soups for sarah, kim, and the boys- italian wedding soup and rustic shrimp stew- and recycling. i think we are going to work out somewheres in there too.

Surprisingly we had a pretty full weekend, which, when juxtaposed with my slothlike and sleepy existence of last weekend, is pretty funny. On Friday night we met up with Nikki and Christina and saw Slumdog Millionaire. Yall, this is a powerful movie. First of all, the plot, though some reviewers have called it trite, I think is imaginative. An orphan from the slums of Mumbai, makes it to the Indian version of "So You Want to be a Millionaire" and knows all the answers because of the specific life he has led. I love so many of the actors in it, especially the main character, Jamal as a little boy. He is such a mufffin:



I also love the man who plays the investigator in the film. He also played the dad in the "The Namesake." I think he is so handsome. So, back to the film: interesting plot, great acting, and visually breathtaking. The director? producer? used some really interesting techniques: these really jumpy shots, saturated colors, and then just some really jarring images of the juxtaposition of serious poverty and serious wealth. All in all, I loved the film and think you should go and see. I mean it ends in this Bollywood type dance number. Who doesn't love that? (this is while the credits are running). If you see it, let me know what you think.

We spent Saturday morning running around doing errands like picking up cats pills and getting necessities at Target and such. Then we went and hung out with Jes's parents and ate dinner. Once again her mom came through with this delicious Lemon Tuscan grilled chicken. Good stuff yall. After dinner and discussion with the parentals, we headed home, gave larry his pills and then headed out to Buford Highway to do Karaoke with Angie and Elin and friends for Elin's birthday. In general, karaoke is kind of crazy to me, but what was the craziest is how I clearly do not know most of the words to songs I grew up singing. I have only done karaoke (actually sung) once before and that was at my friend Molly's 30th bday. I sang "Music" with Molly. I was horrible. This time I sang "Love Shack" with Elin and then, as a present to her I sang "Push It" by Salt n Pepa. I didn't even really need to look at the words b/c I had that shit memorized. Don't remember how fly SnP were? Take a look:



My favorite was Spinderella, the dj, she is in the middle in this picture. Anywho after I pushed it (dance moves included) we pushed it on out the door and came home and passed the fuck out b/c we were T.I.R.E.D.

Overall, great weekend. Looking forward to our social engagements today and then off to another week of work at my awesome new job.

Happy Sunday yall!

1 comment:

Katie said...

i hope to see that movie--don't get out much at night anymore...

but in the meantime, come here give me a kiss, you bettah make it fast or else i'm gonna get pissed